Wednesday 11 November 2020

A Quick Chat With Dental Practice Owner - Frederico Do Rego

With the NHS stretched to capacity at the height of the pandemic, most non-essential care was postponed to allow medics to focus on the growing number of cases in hospitals.   Out with the hospital corridors other parts of the NHS service was also suspended.   Dentists up and down the country closed their doors, focusing purely on emergency treatments and tooth extractions.   As restrictions started to be lifted some dental services became available, but frustratingly for most it came at a cost with the added waiting times under new guidelines.


I spoke with principal Dentist and owner Mr Frederico Do Rego at Oaktree Dental Centre in Kilsyth to get an idea what the Covid restrictions have meant for his business, staff and community he serves.   I’ve known Rico most of my life and feel fortunate to be able to call him my brother-in-law and friend.   I know how passionate he is about dentistry and see how his manor and approach make even the most nervous patients feel very much at ease in the dentist chair.   I also see the positive outlook he has with life and work in general which rubs off on people he is in contact with.


Hope you enjoy the next in my quick chats series.


Q. How has dental treatment changed since the complete lockdown was introduced in March - do you feel it has gone backwards?

A. Dentistry has worked on the current fee scale through seeing as many patients as possible and long working days . With Covid restrictions the time factor has meant longer appointments and therefore less patients being seen . This has had an adverse effect on wages and also running a practice . However, some in the dental industry will see this as a positive, with many dentists unlikely to return to those long days.   Perhaps,  a new normal will result  for the better I believe for dentists; unfortunately this will also mean greatly increased costs to patients.


Q. How have you been keeping yourself busy?

A. We have never really stopped as we still deal with emergencies . From a hundred patients a day at our surgery down to ten means a huge waiting list 


Q. What has been your biggest challenge?

A. Trying to keep my costs down and hold on to my staff . We have a recoverable debt but time will tell but I am in the fortunate position of selling to a corporate who are more capable of coping.   It may result in many dental surgeries closing or going private.


Q. Where have you found strength at difficult times?

A. Certain members of the team have stepped up and beyond their duties to cover those that were unable to come in.  This has been really encouraging for me and the wider team.


Q. If you could go back to March & give yourself some advice - what would it be?

A. I really haven’t found the answer to that . Staff and myself now have issues with mental health and we are no where near a recovery route . Personally my life plan was the make sure my family were secure . Coming from a background of hardship and uncertainty I wanted to make sure the future generations have an easier more predictable future.


Q. What have you learned about yourself?

I am not as strong mentally as I imagined and I definitely less tolerant as a result.  I don’t like this 


Q. Did you pick up any new skills?

No but I use the extra time on procedures to raise my standards 


Q. What have you missed most?

A. People faces family 


Q. What will be the biggest challenge facing Dentistry when we start to move out of lockdown?

A. Dealing with the backlog and also telling patients costs have now rocketed and waiting times are months for routine  work .   Most dentists are an integral part of the communities they serve, but with extra costs and waiting times for patients we may not be seen as an accommodating friend anymore.

My reception staff have been brought to tears on a daily basis when explaining to patients that waiting times & costs have increased significantly.  It is difficult for staff to deal with, especially with patients in pain and feeling the financial strain.



George & The Song i love so well

When I think of my brother, I always have an immense send of pride and joy.  Reading the many emotional posts from musicians, pubs and frien...