Monday 31 January 2022

A Songbook for Big George

Walking up the cobbled stone street the noise of Byres road slowly fades, a busker belts out an Oasis song while a smoker stands at the entrance of a bar, he's looking on in deep appreciation of the street fayre in front of him. The smoker throws a few coins on to the buskers ruffled up leather guitar case before opening the door to head back to his pint, momentarily the sound of a hundred conversations drift out from the packed bar before falling silent again as the door closes keeping in the heat and revelry. For me I’ve only got a few more steps along the lane before heading through the double doors of Jinty McGuinty's and all at once I am content.

The drinkers queueing at the bar behind me 4 or 5 people deep all looking for space to try to shout in another round – bar manager Caroline controlling it expertly as always.

Waiting my turn I take a quick look round to the fireplace where George is serenading the packed pub with his stories and songs, he greets me with a wide eyed beaming smile and a gentle nod, I know I've been welcomed into the pub. He gestures down to his half finished pint, just to let me know he needs another freshly poured beer brought over when I’m ready.

The walls are decorated with the literary gems of Ireland. Jonathan Swift, Oscar Wilde and WB Yeats are remembered through their social commentary from yesteryear. Mixed with the modern score from artists like Christy Moore, Shane MacGowan, Jim Croce and many many more........... It’s all too perfect.

This is where I went for years, this is where I grew up, this is where I go now to remember my brother George. 

Sometimes I close my eyes and for a fleeting moment I hear his voice, I see his smile and feel his warmth again.

There isn’t a day goes by where I don't miss him.

Those years following George from pub to pub across Glasgow, and if I could get the time off work, across Scotland too are cherished memories. They were an education for me, and an opportunity to embrace the beauty within folk music, from it's picture perfect lyrics to the touching melodic arrangements that accompanied every heartfelt tale.  These songs don't just linger in your head, they settle in your soul.

George's wife Carolyn dropped off his gigging guitar to me last year. I had hoped I could maybe pick up the guitar and actually learn to play it properly this time, but so far I haven't got very far. In amongst the guitar case was an old song list that George handed round at the bars and clubs he played so that people could request songs – the list wasn't extensive, probably only covering a small clipping of his regular material.  A very early version of a playbook.

The list got me thinking about the songs George would sing and the variety of genres it crossed over. Digesting the content of the playbook I created a playlist on Spotify of the tunes I would hear George perform in my younger days, like all good playlists it has become a fluid score of not only the songs George sang, but those I would hear in the bars where he played and in the car travelling between venues.

Simply called Big Geo Songlist it has become my go to soundtrack when I am ironing, cooking, driving or spending time with family and friends. The biggest compliment I can give it is that both my children are tuned in to it regularly.

So, I thought I would share it with you to hopefully bring back some memories of your own and help toast my brother and our friend George.





George & The Song i love so well

When I think of my brother, I always have an immense send of pride and joy.  Reading the many emotional posts from musicians, pubs and frien...