Monday 7 August 2023

AM Frequency Playlist - Intro

The AM Frequency Playlist.  Introducing a new series of blogs, capturing the completely random, eclectic and varied songbook that keeps me captivated on my commute to work.  The plan is to build out a collection of spotify playlists, sharing some background on the songs, maybe adding why I like them, and any tenuous link with anything, anywhere in time.

As someone who suffers from anxiety and OCD, I regularly overthink every situation, moment and interaction.  The blog will act as a wee insight into my music tastes, but more importantly for me, I hope it will help keep me writing, and being more in the moment on my journey.


The way in which many of us go about our day to day commute has probably changed significantly since the Covid pandemic struck across the world.  Hybrid working was previously reserved for certain types of roles in specific industry sectors, but the globally enforced lockdown changed the perception of how many roles could still be fulfilled.  For me, at the moment I have a cosy 40/60 office vs home work pattern with my employer.  2 days in the office and 3 from home.  So, you’re unlikely to hear me complaining.


The reduction in time spent on public transport means I’ve lost some connection to that long established ritual that many commuters have; The Morning Playlist. Whether it started with a Sony Walkman on the way to school, portable CD player, mini disc or any number of the MP3 devices and more recently streaming services, i feel the chance to comfort yourself with a chorus of songs to prepare you for the day ahead has always been important.  My journey from the local train station to Glasgow city centre and subsequent walk to my desk only takes about 35 minutes, just enough time for 8 – 10 songs to serenade me through the streets, sights and smells of Glasgow as it welcomes natives and visitors for another day.

So, what can you expect?

Hopefully there is enough to keep us interested.  Jazz, Punk, Dance, Rap, Country, Crooners Pop and Indie music.   No doubt some tangents too if I spot something on my commute or if a song triggers a memory.   Pictures, I'll post pictures, mainly of in and around Glasgow,  but no doubt other places and people will filter in too.  I definitely want it to be a 2 way street too, if there’s something you’re listening to at the gym or on the bus, share it and I can get it added to my list.

Hope you enjoy & I hope you get as much out of it as I do.

AM Frequency Spotify Playlist







George & The Song i love so well

When I think of my brother, I always have an immense send of pride and joy.  Reading the many emotional posts from musicians, pubs and frien...